Many travelers are confused over whether or not they need a passport to enjoy a cruise that leaves from a port located in the United States. While it’s pretty obvious that you’ll need a passport to get on a cruise that leaves from Puerto Rico and explores the Caribbean, the rules can be obscured when it comes to cruises that begin and end on United States’ soil, but that visit other countries’ waters. This confusion can be compounded if the ships stop at “ports-of-call” and allow passengers from the United States to exit the cruise ship in a different country.

Obviously, you need a passport for every cruise that begins on soil outside of the Americas. However, many residents don’t realize that they also need a passport for cruises that originate in Canada or Mexico as well as those that undergo foreign on-soil adventures such as the Yukon Railway trail or Alaska’s White Pass. It’s best to consult with your cruise line well before you book so you have plenty of time to get a passport and any necessary visas.

You do not need a passport on a “closed-loop cruise,” which is a cruise that begins and ends in the same U.S. port and only makes stops in “Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.” You will only need a government-issued photo ID (like a driver’s license or military ID) and proof of your citizenship (like a copy of your birth certificate or social security card) to get back into the U.S. on a closed-loop cruise. However, individual ports may require you to have a passport to leave at the port of call, so it’s highly recommended that you travel with a passport even if you are on a closed-loop cruise.

If you don’t have a passport, don’t panic — you can still enjoy sunny skies and clear waters at the Page Terrace’s gulf front motel in St. Petersburg! If you’d like to learn more about our affordable accommodations or you’d like to book your family’s stay at our gulf front hotel in St. Petersburg, don’t hesitate to give us a call today at 800-519-0853 or pay us a visit online at!