It’s happened to everyone at some point or another. You’re having so much fun at the beach that you don’t realize that you forgot to put sunscreen on…that is, until you see that your shoulders are as red as a tomato the next morning! If you’re dealing with the sting of a summer sunburn, use these five tips from the American Academy of Dermatology to soothe the pain.
- Practice prevention. When it comes to a sunburn, prevention is much more effective than cure. If you’re only dealing with a mild burn right now, prevent it from getting worse. Apply sunscreen about 15 minutes before you leave your hotel near Clearwater Beach, Florida for a day full of sunshine. Your skin will thank you!
- Drink lots of water. Sunburns dehydrate your skin, which can make it more difficult for your body to repair itself. Up your water intake for a speedier recovery process.
- Put a cool, damp towel over the burn. The gentle cooling sensation of the towel will help alleviate your pain. Depending on your burn’s severity, you may want to do this multiple times a day for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Know your moisturizer. Most people know that moisturizers with aloe vera can help soothe a burn. However, take care to avoid moisturizers that include ingredients like petroleum, benzocaine, or lidocaine. These ingredients can trap heat under the skin or cause irritation, which may actually make your sunburn worse.
- Know when to head to the hospital. If you have an incredibly severe sunburn, you might be at risk of heat stroke. If you begin to feel nauseous, dizzy, or unable to focus after getting out of the sun, seek medical attention immediately.
Are you looking to squeeze one more trip to the beach into your summer? The Page Terrace Beachfront Hotel is here to help! We still have space available at our affordable Gulf Coast hotel in Clearwater, but you need to hurry—spaces are filling quickly. Give our team a call today at 800-519-0853 to make your reservation!